Do you want to experience the Simpson Desert?
Are you nervous about doing it on your own?
Why not join our experienced members in May/June 2023 and get involved in some worthwhile environmental projects.
All you need is a 4WD vehicle and an off-road van, camper or tent/swag!
While you are there you can take time out to
- Swim or just soak in the famous hot Dalhousie Springs pool
- Explore the many old buildings and remnants of the original cattle yards at Dalhousie Ruins
- Visit Purnie Bore to see the wildlife taking advantage of the permanent water available
- Visit the bush camping area at 3 O’Clock Creek where you can also replenish your drinking water
Some of the projects we are considering for 2023 include
- Profiling the water health in the Dalhousie Pool
- Restoring the grazing exclosure at Dalhousie (an area which has been previously fenced to study vegetation regeneration when unwanted animals are prevented from entering)
- Survey of bird species (specific sites to be determined)
- Feral cat and other fauna video camera survey
- Restoring and future monitoring of photo points in the desert. This may involve a desert crossing
- Cultural sites survey and on country training (subject to Indigenous Rangers/Elders availability)